Sunday, July 5, 2009

Parley P. Pratt Freedom Run 2009

For the last 15 or so years, Columbia has hosted the Parley P. Pratt Freedom Run on July 4th, in commemoration of his escape from the Boone County Jail in Columbia on July 4th, 1839. The race is organized by one of the members of the Columbia Ward. There is a 4 mile race for the more competitive folks, and a 1 mile race for the rest of us. We participated in the event 2 years ago, though Elise rode in the stroller and Emmy rode on my shoulders.

This year Elise graduated from the stroller to Papa's shoulders while Emmy and Eden ran the whole way. Eden placed 1st in the category of 8 & under girls (time of ~9:30); Emmy would have been first if there had been a 6 & under division (her time was ~ 10min). Elise and I were a second or two behind Emmy. It was great fun despite the torrential rain the night before and the light rain during the race. Eden's "trophy" was a painted watermelon. I was proud of both girls for completing the race and doing it so well.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wonder who taught Eden to make faces like that? Fun pictures, good job on the running girls!

Karen said...

Wow, that's great!
So, I knew your last girl's name was Evelyn, but I just saw that her middle name is Grace and that's the middle name we gave OUR Evelyn! Crazy! I guess it's a good combination. :)